The 2015 release of Photoshop CC rolls out exciting new features for designers and digital photographers.
In this video, I’ll cover 9 of the major upgrades. You can also read below to get a birds-eye-view of all the changes and for links to resources offering more information.
Table of contents
Adobe Camera Raw 9.1
With Adobe Camera Raw 9.1, you can now easily decrease or increase the amount of haze or fog in a photograph.
White and Black Sliders in Local Adjustments
Local adjustment controls in Adobe Camera Raw 9.1 now include White and Black sliders. These new sliders are available when you use the Adjustment Brush, Graduated Filter, or Radial Filter.
Content-Aware In Photomerge
The Photomerge dialog now allows you to fill transparent areas of your merged panorama with Content-Aware.
Scale With The Content-Aware Move Tool
The Content-Aware Move tool now has Transform handles which allow you to scale the object you moved.
The Blur Gallery now contains a tab that allows you to Restore grain/noise to make blurred areas look more realistic.
The new Glyphs panel makes it easier for you to insert specialized characters, as well as glyphs from other languages into text in Photoshop.
You can now apply multiple effects (strokes, inner shadows, color overlays, gradient overlays, and drop shadows) to a single layer style.
If you are a web or UX designer, you’re going to love Artboards.
Artboards allow you to design websites or apps for multiple devices on the same canvas. You can think of artboards as individual canvases within one document.
This will allow you to streamline your design process by giving you multiple canvases to work on.
The new Export dialog box allows you to fine-tune settings every time you export layers, layer groups, artboards, or Photoshop documents as images.
Adobe Stock is a new service that provides high-quality, royalty-free images, illustrations, and vector graphics.
You can search for Adobe Stock content directly from within Photoshop. Select File > Search Adobe Stock.
Adobe Stock is also deeply integrated with Photoshop. You can use watermarked images in your Photoshop documents as a library-linked asset. If you like the image, you can then purchase a license and the linked asset will automatically update and remove the watermark.
Design Space (Preview)
NOTE: Design Space is a “Technology Preview”, a beta release, which requires Mac OS X 10.10 or Windows 8.1 64-bit OS or higher and is currently displayed only in English.
Design Space is a modern design experience inside Photoshop streamlined for the requirements of web, UX, and mobile app designers.
To enable Design Space (Preview), select Preferences > Technology Previews and then choose Enable Design Space (Preview).
For more information on Design Space Click Here.
Device Preview and the Preview CC companion app
Photoshop now allows you to get design previews on multiple iOS devices with the new Device Preview feature in Photoshop and the Adobe Preview CC mobile app.
Changes you make in Photoshop are then displayed in Preview CC in real-time.
Get more information here:
3D Printing & Imaging Upgrades
- Simplify 3D meshes command
- Improved UI for exporting 3D layers
- Export a single meshes individually
- Tweak bump or normal maps using Blur, Detail Scale, and High/Medium/Low Frequency.
- Create bump maps or normal maps from diffuse textures
- Convert a vertex color to a texture color
- 3D Printing upgrades can be seen here.
Other Changes In Photoshop CC 2015
- Adjustments (Image > Adjustments) can now be applied as Smart Filters.
- Moving a layer to a group now moves it to the top of the order instead of the bottom.
- Step backward/forward operations no longer change the layer you have selected.
- The Save For Web option has been moved to File > Export > Save For Web (Legacy).
- The Digimarc plug-in is no longer installed by default. However, you can get it here.
- Scale the UI 200 percent for high-density displays is no longer a Technology Preview feature. It is now part of standard Photoshop functionality. To enable this feature in Photoshop CC 2015 release, select Preferences > Interface > UI Scaling: 200.
- UI toolkit for plug-ins and scripts had several enhancements. For more information, see the Photoshop UI toolkit for plug-ins and scripts.
Other Photoshop Updates
Check out my Photoshop tutorials that cover other updates: