Photoshop CC 14.1 came out on September 8th, and one of it’s most impressive additions was Adobe Generator.
Adobe Generator allows you to create image assets in real-time as you work, eliminating the repetitive steps of copying, slicing, and exporting each layer manually.
Simply add a file extension to the name of your layer or layer group, and Photoshop will automatically create a JPG, PNG, or GIF from the contents of that layer.
If you make a change to that layer, the file is immediately updated. This means that you will now have a folder of images that are always up-to-date with your Photoshop design.
To turn on Adobe Generator, go to File > Generate > Image Assets.
Now all you have to do is rename the layers or layer groups that you want to export.
Here are some examples of the supported tags:
- .png (Default value: png32 with semi-transparent alpha), .png8, .png24, .png32
- .jpg (Default value: 9), .jpg(1-10)
- 1-n%, (Number) px x (Number) px for scaling
Here are some examples of how tags can be used:
- “200% [email protected], logo.png” produces both a 2x and a 1x asset*
- *”@2x” is just a useful naming convention for retina images and it is not required.
- “banner.jpg10” produces a 1x asset with max quality
- “400% button.png, 250×250 button.jpg40%” produces a 4x PNG asset and a custom-scaled JPEG asset
Real Time Connectivity With Adobe Edge Reflow
Adobe Generator also provides a real-time connection between Photoshop and Edge Reflow, Adobe’s new responsive Web designs tool.
With a single click, you can insert assets directly into Edge Reflow, reducing tedious manual labor.
The 14.1 update also includes many other improvements to Photoshop, including enhancements to Color Range options, Isolation mode, and path selection, as well as native PSDX support (read-only) and 32-bit image support for many more filters.
Click here to see a full list of the improvements and bug fixes.
Other Photoshop Updates
Check out my other Photoshop tutorials that cover updates:
- Photoshop CC 2018
- Photoshop CC 2017
- Photoshop CC 2015.5
- Photoshop CC 2015
- Photoshop CC 2014
- Photoshop CS6